Tips on sticking to your plan to quit
7/14/2013, 6 a.m.
Once you have made the decision to stop smoking, the next step is to create a plan that works for you. Sticking to it will help you quit smoking.
- Make a list of reasons why you have decided to quit.
- Educate yourself on the impact of smoking and methods to help you quit.
- Decide on a quit date — ensuring your timeline is right for you can be crucial.
- Prepare your environment and change your habits to eliminate situations that would tempt you to smoke.
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Stay busy.
- Be prepared to have other things to put in your mouth, such as peppermints, carrot sticks, cinnamon sticks or toothpicks.
Remember, if you can quit for one day, you can quit for one more and one more. But don’t forget, you’ll double your chance for successfully quitting smoking if you use the two proven strategies — medication and counseling.