Delish, diet-friendly dessert recipes
11/21/2012, 4:35 a.m.
Red Velvet Doughnuts Glazed with Raw Dark Chocolate
Yield: 16 doughnuts
Active Time: 8 hours (overnight)
3 cups almond meal
2 1/2 cups dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp agave nectar or honey
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 small 2 inch chunk of organic raw red beet (or enough to make mix red)
Raw Chocolate Glaze
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
a pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup agave nectar
1. Combine all ingredients and process until smooth
2. Shape into 16 balls and then shape into doughnuts
3. Place on a dehydrator sheet
4. Dry for about 8 hours or until it's not sticky
1. Whisk all ingredients until smooth
2. Let sit a little while to thicken
3. Place the doughnuts on a drying rack
4. Drizzle the glaze over the doughnuts, then place them on a foil lined sheet pan
5. Place in the freezer to harden for a few minutes
6. Remove from freezer and serve
German Chocolate Pecan Tart
Yield: One 10-inch tart
Active Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
3/4 tsp salt
10 Tbsp organic butter
seeds of one vanilla bean
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
4-5 Tbsp water plus more if needed
1 cup organic heavy cream
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups toasted pecans
1 cup toasted large flake coconut
2 cups chopped dark chocolate
1. Combine flour, powdered sugar, salt and vanilla beans in a mixing bowl.
2. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add extract, water and mix together with hands until dough comes together, adding more water if necessary to form a cohesive dough ball.
4. Lightly flour a surface and roll dough out to fit a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
5. Press dough into pan and place in the freezer.
6. Freeze 30 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°.
8. In a medium saucepan, place cream, brown sugar, honey and heat on medium high until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.
9. Let boil for four minutes while stirring, then remove from heat and stir in vanilla, pecans and coconut.
10. Scatter half the chocolate chunks into the crust then pour pecan mixture over.
11. Scatter remaining chocolate over the filling and bake on the middle rack of the oven on a sheet pan lined with foil (to catch any overflow) for about 35-38 minutes until browned and bubbling.
12. Cool on rack.
Recipes courtesy of Amy, blogger at http://fragrantvanillacake.blogspot.com.
Southern Pumpkin Bread
Yield: 1 Loaf (6-12 servings)
Active Time: 1 hour
1.5 1/3 cups of self-rising flour
1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of oil
1 can of pumpkin
1/4 tsp of baking powder (if you are using all-purpose 1 tsp of baking soda ( if you are using all-purpose flour)
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup of water
1. Mix all liquid ingredients, sugar, oil, eggs, can of pumpkin and spices in a mixer
2. Add water and flour gradually
3. Mix well at medium speed
4. Pour in loaf pan
5. Cook at 350 degrees for an hour
Note: If using self-rising flour do not add baking powder or baking soda.
Recipe courtesy of Johnnie Mae Maxwell, 73, of Alabama (current Dorchester resident)