Quantcast

UMass-Dartmouth loses discrimination case

6/21/2011, 10:57 p.m.

      UMass-Dartmouth loses discrimination case

      DARTMOUTH, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth has been ordered to pay more than $350,000 in damages and lost wages combined to an English professor who said she was denied promotion because of her race and gender.

      The Massachusetts Commission against Discrimination, in an unprecedented move, also ordered that associate professor LuLu Sun be promoted to full professor.

      The university was also assessed a $10,000 penalty for its “egregious conduct,” while some top administrators, including Chancellor Jean MacCormack, were ordered to attend eight hours of training in employment anti-discrimination law.

      Sun said she was denied promotion in 2004 and 2005 despite a stellar resume and glowing recommendations. She alleged she was held to higher standards because of her gender and Taiwanese ancestry.

      A UMass-Dartmouth spokesman says the school is reviewing the decision.

      Boston pharmacist sentenced for Medicaid fraud

      Prosecutors say a former Boston pharmacist has been sentenced to four years in jail for defrauding the Massachusetts Medicaid program of more than $555,000.

      The state attorney general's office says 65-year-old Aloyisius Nsonwu (n-SOHN’-woo) of Roslindale fraudulently billed MassHealth for medications that were never prescribed by a doctor for dispended from his pharmacy.

      Nsonwu was sentenced last week on charges of false Medicaid claims, larceny by false pretenses and conspiracy. He was also ordered to pay full restitution.

      An investigation was launched in 2007. It found that Nsonwu submitted claims for various HIV drugs using the identification numbers of 25 MassHealth patients who had never received a prescription from a doctor.

      He pleaded guilty to all charges in April.

      His pharmacist’s license was suspended in March 2010.

      Feds open tornado recovery centers in Mass.

      SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Federal Emergency Management Agency is opening seven more disaster recovery centers in the next two days in the areas of Massachusetts affected by tornadoes.

      That’s on top of two that opened over the weekend.

      The centers were scheduled to open Monday in Agawam, Brimfield, Sturbridge and Wilbraham, and on Tuesday in Monson, Southbridge and Westfield. Recovery centers opened in Springfield and West Springfield on Saturday.

      They are open from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. seven days a week.

      People who lost property in the tornadoes that tore across Hampden and Worcester counties on June 1 can meet with specialists from FEMA, the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency, as well as other state agencies and charities.

      Those seeking assistance are encouraged to register with FEMA before going to a recovery center.