Sister to Sister
Overview of addiction
We will discuss:
• Definition of addiction; types of addiction;
• Recognizing and diagnosing addiction: signs & symptoms
• Risk factors for developing an addiction (genetics, environment, personal and individual factors)
• Treatment strategies and tools
Joining us in conversation will be:
• Robin Reed (MD), whose interests include complementary and alternative medicine, geriatrics, health care literacy, and promoting the health and well being of families.
• Sandra Gordon (MD), an internist specializing in addiction medicine at Boston Medical Center. She works with the RESPECT program at BMC, which treats pregnant women struggling with addiction.
• Sheila Chapman (MD), an internist certified in addiction medicine at Boston Medical Center with a special interest in sickle cell disease. She also works closely with BMC and Boston University School of Medicine to promote and retain under-represented minorities.