December 28, 2017
Location: Mattapan, MA
Sanctuary: Boston Nature Center
Reporting to the Director of Philanthropy for Sanctuaries and the Sanctuary Director of Boston Nature Center (BNC,) the Development Director is responsible for a multifaceted program which supports a third of the center’s operating budget of just over $1.5 million. Together with the Sanctuary Director and other senior staff, the Development Director will work to secure and maximize all levels of philanthropic support to further the mission of the Boston Nature Center. The Director is responsible for managing all aspects of fundraising at the BNC including overall annual fund initiatives, personally soliciting individual gifts, and supporting other senior staff in gift solicitation and stewardship activities. The Development Director will also oversee the fundraising communication plan and work with the sanctuary committee and other volunteers to achieve fundraising goals.
• Maintain and further develop a portfolio of approximately 75+ active Mass Audubon donors and prospects with the capacity, interest and inclination to make annual gifts of $1,000-$50,000 to the Boston Nature Center.
• Create and implement a cultivation/solicitation/stewardship strategy for each prospect, coordinating closely with Boston Nature Center Sanctuary Director and Mass Audubon Development staff.
• Work with development and sanctuary staff to establish annual fundraising plans and coordinate strategies to meet annual operating goals.
• Partner with grants staff to identify new sources of foundation, corporate, and government funding, and actively participate in preparing and editing grant proposals.
• Write personal updates to donors/funders, and assist in preparing fundraising collateral materials and content for other donor communications (web, online, print,) including Camp Report and Annual Report.
• Coordinate donor recognition and gift acknowledgement process for gifts to Boston Nature Center.
• Oversee planning and execution of prospect cultivation and donor stewardship events.
• Manage ongoing efforts to identify and qualify additional leadership prospects through direct marketing efforts, prospecting events, database analysis, online research, and peer networking.
• Help support and develop the capacity of the Planning and Development Committee, Sanctuary Committee and other volunteer leadership groups to assist in fundraising efforts.
• Coordinate with marketing and PR staff to execute an effective media relations strategy.
• Participate in biweekly Philanthropy Department staff meetings.
• Participate in sanctuary-based and organization-wide fundraising initiatives as needed.
• A minimum of 5 years of progressive development experience, including demonstrated success with prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, a bachelor’s degree is required
• The ability to develop and execute strategies to motivate donors and prospects with preferred knowledge of, and experience working with the Greater Boston philanthropic community.
• Solid knowledge of annual giving and special events planning and execution with community-based and/or conservation organizations.
• Demonstrated ability to work within an organization emphasizing teamwork, respect and excellence
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects and priorities; ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
• Proven ability to work both independently and as a member of highly-skilled cross functional team
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills who is a team player with a demonstrated commitment to the environment
• The ability to effectively communicate Mass Audubon’s mission and work
• Experience with membership and fundraising databases and Microsoft Office products including Excel
• Willingness to travel within Massachusetts and possess a valid driver’s license
• Successful candidates must pass background checks (CORI, SORI and Driver's)
Compensation and Benefits
This is a 30hr/wk position and offers a competitive salary and full benefits package.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to: